What I'm Up To (The Cliffnotes Version)

Friday, February 10, 2006

New Job!!!

Responses from others (upon hearing about my new job):
1) SH: So what's the new job?

Me: For all intents and purposes, I'm an executive assistant.

pause

SH: WHAT?!?!?! How did you get that???


2) Mom: (after about 10 seconds of silence)
That's not nice. I don't think that's nice. Have you told you father?

(He is one of the leading Democratic political consultants in town, in the state, actually. My parents are hard-line Republicans.)


3) Me: I'm not working at Rice. I am, however, downtown working out of The Rice.
(The Rice was one of Houston's grand, landmark hotels.)

SM: I thought The Rice was a classier hotel than that.
(I'll give you a minute to figure that one out.)


4) (After telling some friends about my mother's reaction.)
Me: She had that tone of voice that made it sound like I was only a step above being a hooker.

C: Now, maybe if you were a Republican hooker...


I just landed a new job working as an assistant for one of the leading political consultants here in town. This job just fell into my lap. I was helping out a friend (in dire need of an assistant, but doesn't have a enough of a budget for one at the moment) and I was telling him I was looking for a day job. He tells me the guy whose office he uses needs an assistant. It's mostly administrative stuff. Anyway, 30 minutes later, I find myself in a new job. Yay!!!

No comments: