What I'm Up To (The Cliffnotes Version)

Monday, August 15, 2005

Reality Bites

Ok, so I just got done watching that movie. So sue me. I like the soundtrack, Ethan Hawke looks yum, it was filmed in a great city and there was nothing else on TV. On to my reality.

I'm back in home and reality crashed into me like a wall of bricks. I feel like I got off the plane and hit the ground running. My next show is suppose to start rehearsal tonight - except we only have half a cast (at least, I think we're that lucky). So instead of the usual first rehearsal consisting of a read-thru, introductions and design show & tell, we're running auditions. Yeah. Our first audience comes in 2 weeks from this Saturday. Oh, and after tonight, our next planned rehearsal is on Thursday. Today is Monday. That leaves us 1 1/2 weeks to rehearse before we go into tech week. (That's where we start throwing lights, sound and costumes at the actors.) Oh well, we'll see.

On top of that, I've got my show that I'm directing. I'm running auditions this weekend. Yikes! I HATE auditions! I hate them as an actor, stage manager and director. There has got to be a more efficient, less painful way of casting a show. It's always a crap shoot. Some people do lousy auditions, but are great once you get them to rehearsals. Others do great auditions, but never get past what they gave you at that initial audition. But on the flip side, I'm meeting with my set & light designer. One person, both positions. We work extremely well together and he's very talented. I feel like this production is really rolling now. I'm excited again about the show.

No comments: