What I'm Up To (The Cliffnotes Version)

Sunday, September 25, 2005

My Hurricane Update - pt.2

Just a few observations & musings while I've been on the run:

1) The traffic jam/parking lot I encountered on 290 & Hwy 6 up to Bryan/College Station was at least 10 times worse than ANY traffic jam caused by an A&M-t.u. game! (And if I complain about the next game-induced traffic up to B/CS, remind me of this evacuation.)

2) This is the first time I saw heavy traffic on a 2-lane farm road that wasn't caused by the local football game (FM 485 from Hearne to Temple).

3) I don't think I could live in the DFW metroplex - too flat, too suburban, too small-town mentality, no beach/oceanside within reach (in spite of hurricane season's best efforts to scare us away)...too blah.

4) Thank God for friends who reside in small, podunk Texas towns! She not only opened her house at 1:30 am, but her town was the 2nd spot I saw that had gas! (The first one had at least 40 cars lined up to enter the gas station.)

5) Who would have thought that something as mundane as D-cell batteries could be more precious than gold?

6) Non-Filipinos / non-Hawaiians combing the shelves for Spam - who'd have thunk????

7) For that matter, a run on Spam????

8) The land of big-hair still lives on in Ft. Worth!

9) The longest travel time I personal heard of (to date): OVER 48 hours from Galveston to Ft. Worth!!! (After hearing that, I'm not about to complain about my 14 hour trip on 1 full tank of gas. That family had to pull off and wait at least 3 hours for gas after they ran dry.)

10) I never imagined seeing both sides of an evacuation in under 1 week! Last weekend, I was helping settling Katrina evacuees; this weekend, I'm a Rita evacuee.

11) Now that I'm on this side of an evacuation, I'm not sure I like the moniker of "refugee" or "evacuee".

With any luck, the next blog will be from home!

No comments: