What I'm Up To (The Cliffnotes Version)

Thursday, June 28, 2007

West Virginia - The Long, Overdue Update

I've now been here for 1.5 weeks and I'm exhausted! We just opened "Sweet Charity" and it's been such an intense period. Part is because this is my first time doing summer stock and part is because I have such an inexperienced crew backstage. Sunday during the day was my "day off" then we had a final rehearsal that night from 7p-midnight. Monday we rehearsed from 12p-12a. We teched the show (with all of it's huge set changes) and we were only able to dress the first half of the show. Tuesday day we did a dress with the orchestra and opened Tuesday night. Yesterday we did a double show and today we have off till tonight's show. I called my crew in early on Tuesday to give them the "coming to Jesus" speech. During the previous day's tech, I realized that I when I tell them something, I had to detail everything out. For example, just because I said you can park a set piece in a certain location and not worry about it till act 2 doesn't mean you may have to move it before then to get to an act 1 piece you may have stored behind it. Or no cellphones backstage. Or you have to keep your eyes and ears open because when someone calls for something to be done, they want it now and not when you decided to get up stroll over. Urrggh! Everyone on my deck crew are interns and all are inexperienced. The girl I have on my side of the stage is quick so I'm feeling better about her. Our stage managing intern is ok, but always looks like she's on the verge of tears of breaking down. The other girl that's with her and our guy on the fly rail are completely useless. There's such a lack of urgency and presence of mind with those 2. It's quite frustrating and the worst part is that I think we get them again for our next show, which is "Funny Girl" and is harder show (tech-wise) than this one is.

Oh, and during last night's intermission, our Charity fell down the stairs running from the dressing rooms (which is 2 floors up) to the stage and dislocated her shoulder. She popped her shoulder back in and ran onstage to finish out the rest of the show (minus her lifts in one of her dances). What a trooper!

This is the post where I vent. The post with all the positive things about here is forthcoming, but I'm going to do yet another load of laundry and take a nap before tonight's show.

No comments: