What I'm Up To (The Cliffnotes Version)

Monday, July 16, 2007

Slight Change Of Plans

I'll explain...

Originally my contract as assistant stage manager is over after we close A Chorus Line. (Which, by the way, is such a blast!) But the other stage manager who is suppose to do the last show has to leave due to a family emergency. She is currently (even as I type) doing Aida, but will be leaving after Sunday when Aida closes. So the artistic director came up to me and asked if I would take over as SM for the last show, Full Monty. What does this mean? This means that:

1) I get an extra week of pay since I'll be here an extra week
2) I get a bigger paycheck since I'll be on a stage manager contract (as opposed to an ASM contract)

What this also means is:
3) I have to leave Chorus Line after Thursday to start work on Full Monty
4) I inherit the old SM's interns (they're...not as good as our intern)
5) I get the crazy costume designer
6) I have to leave Chorus Line after Thursday (day after tomorrow)

It's number 3 & 6 that tears me up. I love the show and I've never worked it, so I was excited about doing it. Plus I LOVE our director! She's a great director, fabulous choreographer and a fantastic person. We have so much fun in our rehearsals! Our cast is fantastic and retained all the chorus people I like. So I'm sad about the fact that I'm leaving all that. I also feel weird about leaving the production halfway through. I'm excited about stage managing a show here and the director for Full Monty is great - I worked with him in our previous show. So it's a mixed bag of emotions.

So don't expect me back in Houston before the 2nd week of August.

4 comments:

Laine said...

Please excuse my layman's understanding of theatre things, but is it the lack of costume in Full Monty that makes the costume designer or the surplus of velcro, or is it the increased risk of 'wardrobe malfunction?'

Janel said...

Oh, any or all of the above. Actually, in the case of Full Monty, break-away pants that don't rip off when they should or at all would be considered a wardrobe malfunction.

Drewster said...

1) How is it that you can get only an extra week? Don't contracts have to increase by twos or can you generally work around that in cases like this?

2) Are any of the cast members worth the view at least?

Janel said...

Drewster:
1) my contract didn't extend by 1 week. It's just my stay that's extended by 1 week (give or take a few days). I got a new SM contract that is actually for 2 weeks (1 week of rehearsal, 1 week of performances). I just got pulled from my original ASM contract a week early because my SM contract would have overlapped with my last week as ASM. (Don't forget I'm on a CORST contract.)

2) we have a pretty ensemble! And our Keno (the professional stripper that opens Full Monty)...YUM-MY!