Originally my contract as assistant stage manager is over after we close A Chorus Line. (Which, by the way, is such a blast!) But the other stage manager who is suppose to do the last show has to leave due to a family emergency. She is currently (even as I type) doing Aida, but will be leaving after Sunday when Aida closes. So the artistic director came up to me and asked if I would take over as SM for the last show, Full Monty. What does this mean? This means that:
1) I get an extra week of pay since I'll be here an extra week
2) I get a bigger paycheck since I'll be on a stage manager contract (as opposed to an ASM contract)
What this also means is:
3) I have to leave Chorus Line after Thursday to start work on Full Monty
4) I inherit the old SM's interns (they're...not as good as our intern)
5) I get the crazy costume designer
6) I have to leave Chorus Line after Thursday (day after tomorrow)
It's number 3 & 6 that tears me up. I love the show and I've never worked it, so I was excited about doing it. Plus I LOVE our director! She's a great director, fabulous choreographer and a fantastic person. We have so much fun in our rehearsals! Our cast is fantastic and retained all the chorus people I like. So I'm sad about the fact that I'm leaving all that. I also feel weird about leaving the production halfway through. I'm excited about stage managing a show here and the director for Full Monty is great - I worked with him in our previous show. So it's a mixed bag of emotions.
So don't expect me back in Houston before the 2nd week of August.